The thing I love the most in my coaching work is to figure out ways to turn theories into practices and make them work for real people:
* How can leadership feel less like Hallmark cards and more like LEGO instructions booklets?
* How can we make “start with why” less vague and more concrete?
* Can culture be described and built?
As I worked with people in their one of a kind circumstances, I realised the ways I related to people were limited- the Nike and Apple “talk” wasn’t clicking.
* I had to probe differently because I learned that the real practice to empathise better was to beef up our vocabulary for emotions.
* I had to come up with new stories because I realised that to some, the miracle of starting companies in garages meant the founders were rich because they owned cars.
* I learned that reflection was a wildly under-practiced skill.
I enjoy finding ways to “land the plane” at scale. I enjoy studying and tinkering with human behaviours. I love being able to walk alongside someone’s heroine/hero’s journey.
I love that while I am helping bosses #bossbetter I am becoming a better boss too.